Lise Melhorn-Boe has been making and exhibiting books and sculptural bookworks for over twenty-five years. She has exhibited widely across Canada and the United States as well as Europe and South America and her work is in several public collections. She teaches bookmaking classes for adults and children. She is a member of the White Water Gallery, an artist-run centre in North Bay, The Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild and CARFAC Ontario.
Born in Noranda, a mining town in north-western Québec, Lise attended high school in Copper Cliff, Ontario. Her mother, Pauline Gillmore Melhorn, was a painter who encouraged Lise's desire to draw and paint and make things as a child. She even was lucky enough to have private art lessons for a while with a wonderful painter from South Africa, named Nan Rowley. Lise studied architecture for a year and two weeks at Carleton University, because her father wanted her to be a lawyer or a doctor! (It made sense at the time.) She then came to her senses and studied art at the University of Guelph and later received M.A. and M.F.A. degrees from Wayne State University in Detroit. She has also enjoyed the opportunity to take workshops through the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, to learn specific book-making techniques.
Lise lives in Kingston, Ontario, with her son Matthias.
- 1984 Wayne State University, Detroit - M.F.A. (Fibres)
- 1981 Wayne State University - (M.A. Fibres)
- 1977 University of Guelph - Honours B.A. Art (Printmaking)
- Ontario Arts Council Materials Assistance Grants: 1986 – 2009 (x10).
- Ontario Arts Council Artists in Education Project Grants: 1996 – 2011 (x13).
- Canada Council Project Grant: 1989
- Ontario Arts Council Individual Crafts Grant: 1988
- O.A.C. Creative Artists in Schools Project Grants: 1986.
- O.A.C. Grants to Artists: 1978, 1998, 2003.
- Art Gallery of Cleveland
- Art Gallery of Ontario Library
- Art Gallery of York University Artists Book Collection
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Banff Centre for Fine Arts, Banff, Alberta
- Baylor University, Crouch Library, Artist Book Collections, Waco, Texas
- British Library
- Canada Council Art Bank, Ottawa, Ontario
- California Polytechnic State University, King Library, San Luis Obispo, California
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Duke University, Sallie Bingham Center for Women's History and Culture
- Harvard Fine Arts Library
- Indiana University, Kinsey Institute
- Johns Hopkins University, Eisenhower Library, Special Collections, Baltimore, Maryland
- Lafayette College, Skillman Library, Special Collections
- Leicester Polytechnic, Leicester, England
- Long Island University, Brooklyn, New York
- Los Angeles Public Library
- Manly Library Artists Book Collection, Manly, Australia
- Museum of Modern Art, New York
- National Gallery of Canada
- National Library of Canada
- National Library of Scotland
- Notre Dame, Hesburgh Libraries, Special Collections
- Ontario Ministry of Government Services
- Otis College of Art and Design Library
- Parson's School of Art and Design Library
- Queen's University, Jordan Rare Book and Music Library
- Ringling School of Art and Design
- Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah Library
- Scripps College, Ella Denison Strong Library, Claremont, California
- Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C.
- Smith College Library, Rare Book Room
- Tate London
- Texas Tech University Library, Lubbock, Texas
- Toronto Public Library, Rare Books
- Trinity College, Watkinson Watkinson Library, Hartford, Connecticut
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
- University of California, Berkeley, Environmental Design Library
- University of California, Irvine, Spec. Coll.
- University of California, Los Angeles, Darling Bio-Medical Library
- University of California, Los Angeles, Arts Library
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Davison Library, Spec. Coll.
- University of California, San Diego Library, Mandeville Collections
- University of Cincinnati, Robert A. Deshon and Karl J. Schlachter Library for Design, Architecture, Art and Planning
- University of Delaware Library, Newark, Delaware
- University of Denver
- University of Iowa, Main Library. Special Collections
- University of Pittsburgh, Frick Fine Arts Library, Artist Book Collection
- University of New Mexico
- University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Special Collections
- University of Vermont
- University of Washington
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Wesleyan University, Olin Library, Special Collections
- Whitworth University, Harriet Cheney Cowles Memorial Library, Special Collections
- Yale University Arts Library
- Art Metropole, Toronto
- Printed Matter, New York
- Vamp and Tramp, Birmingham, Alabama